Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Strong second half display seals win for minors

With the teams having gone in level at half time, the Newmarket minor football team turned on a commanding and dominant second half display, to progress to the semi final of the North Cork Minor B Football Championship, after overcoming Kildorrery by 3-14 to 2-7 at Liscarroll on Monday evening.

Newmarket took the lead in the third minute when Barry O’Connor placed Gavin Forde in possession and the on rushing wing forward finished neatly between the posts. Newmarket enjoyed early territorial advantage but Kildorrery were economical in attack and added an equalizer after six minutes.

Gavin Forde was on target for a second time in the ninth minute before Peter Lynch and Jonathan Flaherty combined for Daniel Culloty to point spectacularly moments later. Kildorrery answered on converting two frees to tie the sides for a second time. The sides exchanged the next two points as again Daniel Culloty pointed with aplomb for Newmarket.

Kildorrery edged in front for the first time on eighteen minutes but Newmarket responded in the best manner possible. Donal Hannon surged out of defence and a move involving several exchanges with Gavin Forde ended with Barry O’Connor offloading to Jonathan Flaherty who deftly finished with the boot to the corner of the net from close range.

Kildorrery began to dominate at this stage and were rewarded on twenty six minutes as a move spanning the length of the pitch ended with a goal to revert the scoreboard in their favour. Newmarket replied with an equalizing point by Gavin Forde but goalkeeper Shane McAuliffe came to his sides rescue in the closing moments of the half.

Kildorrery edged in front once more but Barry O’Connor ended the half with a point, to ensure the sides were level for a fifth time at 1-6 apiece at the turnover.

Newmarket resumed in very determined manner. Gavin Forde converted a free within two minutes before Daniel Culloty added to his collection of outstanding points. Danny O’Connell clipped over a fine point and ten minutes into the half was instrumental as his exquisite pass placed the advancing Con McAuliffe in on goal and he finished expertly for Newmarket’s second goal to gain his side a six point advantage, 2-9 to 1-6.

Kildorrery added their first point of the half at the end of the third quarter but Newmarket were dominant and ruthless going forward. Barry O’Connor pointed before Alan Ryan and Jonathan Flaherty combined to find Peter Lynch who unleashed a shot to rattle the net for a third time.

A free flowing Newmarket added to their tally as the prolific Barry O’Connor pointed on three occasions and Gavin Forde also on target to ensure progression to the semi final.

Newmarket had to withstand late Kildorrery pressure which yielded two penalties. The first was converted with three minutes of normal time remaining and they were awarded a second penalty late into injury time. The initial kick had to be retaken and Shane McAuliffe dived to his left to keep out the final kick of the game.

The Newmarket team and scorers…

Gavin Forde (0-5), Barry O’Connor (0-5), Daniel Culloty (0-3), Con McAuliffe (1-0), Peter Lynch (1-0), Jonathan Flaherty (1-0), Danny O’Connell (0-1)

Shane McAuliffe
Daniel O'Doherty Jamie Hayes Jeremy Murphy
Con McAuliffe Donal Hannon Paudie Allen
Michael Cottrell Alan Ryan
Peter Lynch Jacko Flaherty Gavin Forde
Danny O'Connell Daniel Culloty Barry O'Connor
Subs: Eoin O’Connell, Damien O’Keeffe, Donncadha Drumm

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors