Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

St. Vincents hold out to claim league points

Newmarket completed preparations for next Saturday evening’s senior football championship encounter against Aghada, with a narrow home league defeat to St. Vincents on a miserable Sunday afternoon. Persistent rain and slippery conditions spoilt a tight contest, with the visitors edging the game by the narrowest of margins 1-7 to 0-9.

Newmarket began in a positive vein of form and were rewarded with early points on the scoreboard. The positive play of Michael Kenneally was initially rewarded as he fisted a point in the fifth minute with Nicky Flanagan slotting over a free moments later. Newmarket’s outstanding half back Paddy O’Toole, influential throughout, soloed forward before unleashing a fine kick with his left foot to bisect the posts as Newmarket added a third point within seven minutes.

St. Vincents had their opening point in the ninth minute but Michael Kenneally kicked an excellent point in Newmarket’s next attack. This would prove to be the end to Newmarket’s most productive scoring spell, as they struggled to convert chances for the remainder of the game and by the end of the hour in addition to numerous chances dropping short, the home side clocked up a tally of thirteen wides.

St. Vincents added a second point and by the end of the first quarter, Newmarket led by 0-4 to 0-2. Conditions took their toll but both sides battled gamely in all aspects of the game. Nicky Flanagan added a Newmarket point from a free on nineteen minutes before St. Vincents kicked a third point.

In the final cameo of the half, St. Vincents struck for the games most decisive score. The city side engineered a goal scoring opportunity which was well taken with the last kick of the half and they entered the break with the lead for the first time, 1-3 to 0-5.

Newmarket squandered an early gilt edged opportunity, in what would prove to be a frustrating half in attack. St. Vincents doubled their advantage with a point after eight minutes . Newmarket eventually pointed when Nicky Flanagan scored his third point of the game and when Bart Daly fisted an equalizing point, the sides were level midway through the half. Crucially, Newmarket failed to take the lead while at the other end St. Vincents scored the next two points.

The visitors packed their defence and Newmarket came up against a solid rearguard with little success. One of Newmarket’s best performers, John Ryan converted a free but St. Vincents answered with a point by similar means. With time drastically running out Newmarket summoned everything to rescue the contest. Deep into injury time they were forced to find a goal from a close in free. Following a few intricate passes, John Ryan fizzed in a shot and the merest deflection took the ball narrowly over the crossbar. This would prove to be the final opportunity and St. Vincents held out to claim the points.

The Newmarket team and scorers…

Nicky Flanagan (0-3), Michael Kenneally (0-2), John Ryan (0-2), Paddy O’Toole (0-1), Bart Daly (0-1)

David Quinlan
Matthew Fitzpatrick Brian O’Riordan Barry O'Leary
Paddy O'Toole T. J. Brosnan John Ryan
Bart Daly Kevin O'Sullivan
Michael Kenneally Mark Reidy Tony O'Keeffe
John Lane Michael Cottrell Nicky Flanagan
Subs: Timothy Murphy

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

    Div 2 FL
  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors