Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Seniors defeated in Championship

Newmarket despite a competent opening half display, went down to a heavy defeat by 2-14 to 0-7 against Carbery Rangers in the first round of the County Senior Football Championship at Coachford on Saturday evening.

Carbery Rangers played with the aid of a strong breeze in the first half but Newmarket struck first when Daniel Culloty slotted over a free after the early exchanges.

The Carbery Rangers response was swift and in the fifth minute a fine individual solo run cut open the Newmarket rearguard and despite a superb save from Newmarket’s excellent goalkeeper David Quinlan, the rebound was collected and smashed to the net. Three points in a four minute spell established a five point lead for Carbery Rangers by the ninth minute. Newmarket scored their second point when John Lane gathered possession by the sideline and kicked an exquisite score from a difficult angle.

Carbery Rangers were next to score and Newmarket goalkeeper David Quinlan had to be at his brilliant best to prevent a second goal after fourteen minutes. Newmarket sprung into action and pointed for a third time when their outstanding performer and team captain Tony O’Keeffe pointed amongst a crowded goalmouth. Tony O’Keeffe played a captain’s role and was central to all things positive from Newmarket with Patrick O’Toole and Kevin O’Sullivan also prominent.

Daniel Culloty added a point and when John Ryan stepped forward from his corner back position to expertly slot over a free, Newmarket trailed by just two points, 1-4 to 0-5 after twenty six minutes.

Carbery Rangers finished the half strongly. David Quinlan was again called into action but the West Cork side added four points in succession before the interval to claim a lead of 1-8 to 0-5 at half time.

Despite playing with the wind at their backs, Newmarket struggled in the second half. Two points within five minutes stretched the lead to eight points before Daniel Culloty was on target for Newmarket.

Unfortunately, this was as close as Newmarket came to their opponents as Carbery Rangers comfortably played out the remainder of the game. A further three points left the score reading 1-13 to 0-6 at the end of the third quarter before a second goal with seven minutes remaining put an emphatic margin between the sides on the scoreboard.

Bart Daly kicked superbly to point from a dead ball but Carbery Rangers added one final point to seal their place in round four.

Newmarket will now meet Aghada in round two, a repeat of an encounter at the same stage of the championship last season.

The Newmarket team and scorers…

Daniel Culloty (0-3), Johh Ryan (0-1), Bart Daly (0-1), Tony O’Keeffe (0-1), John Lane (0-1)

David Quinlan
Barry O'Leary Brian O’Riordan John Ryan
Patrick O'Toole Bart Daly T. J. Brosnan
Kevin O'Sullivan Colin O'Sullivan
Matthew Fitzpatrick Tony O'Keeffe Michael Cottrell
John Lane Timothy Murphy Daniel Culloty
Subs: Nicky Flanagan, Michael Kenneally, Eddie Allen

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

    Div 2 FL
  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors