Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Seniors defeated after extra time

A last gasp point at the end of extra time enabled Douglas to progress to the semi finals of the Tadhg Crowley Plate, following a 1-8 to 1-7 victory over Newmarket’s senior footballers after a gripping game at Cloughduv last Thursday night.

Both sides toiled valiantly for close on ninety minutes in sapping conditions before the outcome was eventually decided.

Douglas were quick off the mark and aided by the breeze they opened the scoring with a second minute point. Newmarket were on level terms in the fifth minute as the impressive T.J. Brosnan surged forward before drilling the ball between the posts. Douglas regained the lead on converting a free but by the tenth minute Newmarket restored parity as a well worked move ended with T.J. Bodie pointing superbly with a well executed shot from distance.

Douglas began to enjoy territorial advantage and two points established a lead midway through the half. Newmarket dealt well in defence under increasing pressure with Barry O’Leary and Brian O’Riordan to the fore in a well marshalled unit. A heavy downpour of rain did not help either side but they proceeded to provide an entertaining encounter despite the elements. Maintaining possession was paramount in the circumstances but as both sides failed to add to their tally in the second quarter, it was Douglas who turned over with a lead of 0-4 to 0-2.

Newmarket had the ideal start to the second half, as within three minutes, a T.J. Bodie free floated dangerously towards the square and full forward Shane Murphy was on hand to apply a finishing touch to the back of the net. Newmarket grew in stature with John Lane becoming a central figure in attack. The corner forward pointed sublimely after ten minutes to gain Newmarket a two point advantage. Newmarket held Douglas at bay for a full thirty minutes but crucially midway through the half they swept home a goal to edge in front once more. Newmarket regained their momentum and made the most of the elements at this stage. John Lane was on hand to apply an equalizing point with twelve minutes remaining.

Douglas hit the front with another point but once again Newmarket responded. With less than five minutes of normal time remaining, Newmarket were awarded a free and T.J. Bodie made no mistake as the sides were level for the fourth time at 1-5 apiece. Both sides made every effort to find a winner and several chances at both ends went a begging, before deep into injury time the referee brought an end to proceedings to ensure a further twenty minutes of extra time.

At this early stage of the season, the efforts and fitness of both sides was commendable. As with the first half of normal time, Newmarket faced into the elements and while again pinned for long periods into their own half, the defence again held firm as neither team found a score over the ten minute half. Newmarket eventually found a breakthrough two minutes into the second half of extra time as a well worked move involving Timothy Murphy and T.J. Brosnan found John Lane in space and he pointed for a third time. Douglas answered with a point two minutes later.

Newmarket took the lead once again as talisman John Lane found the target but in context with the game Douglas found the reserve to summon a late equalizer. Injury time followed and unfortunately for Newmarket it was Douglas who managed to seal the issue with a late, late point.

The Newmarket team and scorers…

John Lane (0-4), Shane Murphy (1-0), T.J. Bodie (0-2), T.J. Brosnan (0-1)

David Quinlan
Barry O'Leary Brian O’Riordan John Ryan
Matthew Fitzpatrick Timothy Murphy Bart Daly
T. J. Brosnan Colin O'Sullivan
Michael Kenneally T.J. Bodie Tony O'Keeffe
John Lane Shane Murphy Eddie Allen
Subs: Nicky Flanagan, Michael Cottrell, Daniel Culloty, Steven Stokes

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

    Div 2 FL
  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors