Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2020 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Newmarket defeated in Round two of the Premier Intermediate Football Championship

Newmarket were defeated by Kiskeam in round two of the Evening Echo Premier Intermediate Football Championship encounter at Ballydesmond on Sunday afternoon, two second half goals pivotal to a 2-9 to 0-12 scoreline, in what was an entertaining game of football.

Kiskeam were first off the mark on pointing within a minute. Newmarket equalized instantly thanks to a superb point from distance by Kevin O’Sullivan. Kiskeam edged in front in the eighth minute, with a well executed T.J. Bodie score restoring parity for a second time four minutes later. Newmarket took the lead for the first time a minute later when a quickly taken free by T.J. Bodie found Timothy Murphy in space in an advanced position and he slotted over another fine point.

Newmarket increased their advantage with Nicky Flanagan converting a free in the fifteenth minute. Kiskeam replied in a free flowing first half, with two points which tied sides for a third time in the twenty first minute before a third successive point restored the game in their favour. Newmarket responded in similar fashion by adding the next three points. Barry O’Leary tied proceedings once more on punching a point before Nicky Flanagan found the target twice from frees, the second of which was a superb score. The half ended with a Kiskeam point which gave Newmarket a slender advantage, 0-7 to 0-6 at the interval.

Newmarket had a narrow escape within seconds of the restart with a Kiskeam goal effort narrowly slipping past the post but they were not as fortunate a minute later when the Kiskeam attack slipped past the Newmarket rearguard to find the net from close range and added a point moments later to gain a three point advantage.

Newmarket had to wait seven minutes of the half to register their next score which came courtesy of a Nicky Flanagan free. Newmarket were grateful to debutant goalkeeper David Quinlan, for producing a brilliant save when faced with a one on one scenario and cut the deficit to a point with T.J. Bodie finding the target with his second point of the contest. As the game entered the final quarter, Kiskeam took a firm grip on proceedings, firstly they added a point before a second goal followed within a minute and another point gave them a substantial six point lead with little over ten minutes remaining. Newmarket battled gamely to the end and while they never threatened to find a much needed goal. They cut the deficit through points by T.J. Bodie twice and another to John Ryan, but ultimately the task proved too great and they now enter the third round and a championship knockout encounter in their next outing.

The Newmarket team and scorers…

T.J. Bodie (0-4), Nicky Flanagan (0-4), John Ryan (0-1), Barry O’Leary (0-1), Kevin O’Sullivan (0-1), Timothy Murphy (0-1).

David Quinlan
T. J. Brosnan Brian O’Riordan John Ryan
Barry O'Leary Mark Reidy Kevin O'Sullivan
Mark Murphy Timothy Murphy
David O’Flynn Tony O'Keeffe T.J. Bodie
John Lane Denys O'Brien Nicky Flanagan
Subs: Michael O’Leary, Gerard Casey.

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors