Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Newmarket must regroup for round two of Intermediate championship after defeat

Newmarket must now play Clyda Rovers in the second round of the Evening Echo Premier Intermediate football championship, following their narrow defeat to near neighbours Kiskeam by 1-9 to 0-11, in a closely contested first round game played in perfect conditions at Kanturk on Sunday.

Both sides struggled to settle into the game before the first score of the game went to Kiskeam in the ninth minute. Newmarket responded instantly when Seanie Francis O’Connor pointed from play. Newmarket goalkeeper, Niall O’Connor impressive throughout, had to be at his best in the thirteenth minute on producing a memorable save from close range but the first twenty minutes of the game were rather dour and forgettable. Kiskeam opened a two point lead on scoring twice in as many minutes before Newmarket were rewarded for a fine flowing move with David O’Flynn punching a point. Kiskeam increased their advantage on adding two further points but Newmarket ended the half with another slick passing move which left Seanie Francis O’Connor through the rearguard to point and leave the score at 0-5 to 0-3 at the halfway point.

Kiskeam resumed with a point within two minutes but T.J. Bodie replied for Newmarket after yet another well worked team score. David O’Flynn reduced the gap to a solitary point but in their next foray into the Newmarket half, Kiskeam found the net with a well worked individual goal for what proved to be the crucial score of the game. Newmarket needed a response and this duly came about. Mark Reidy pointed on being well picked out by a Kevin O’Sullivan pass, with Tony O’Keeffe then clipping over a point from close range.

As Newmarket kept up the momentum a T.J. Bodie point left the score reading 1-6 to 0-8 with thirteen minutes remaining. However, Newmarket ultimately failed to gain level terms despite a concerted effort. Denys O’Brien was immense throughout at midfield, with Kevin O’Connor outstanding in defence as they inspired their team mates but unfortunately Newmarket fell short of gaining parity on several occasions. Kiskeam added two points to restore a three point lead, but true to form Newmarket came back to within a point thanks to points from John Ryan and Seanie Francis O’Connor as the game entered the closing minutes. Once more Kiskeam edged ahead by two points before Bart Daly kicked a superb deadball from distance for a Newmarket point. Newmarket tried in vain to take the contest to extra time but just fell short on the day and must now regroup for round two next month.

The Newmarket team was…

Niall O’Connor
Kevin O’Connor Mark Murphy Brian O’Riordan
John Ryan (0-1) Barry O’Leary Bart Daly (0-1)
Denys O’Brien Timothy Murphy
Maurice Feehan Mark Reidy (0-1) David O’Flynn (0-2)
Tony O’Keeffe (0-1) T.J. Bodie (0-2) Seanie Francis O’Connor (0-3)
SUBS: Kevin O’Sullivan, John Lane, Colin O’Sullivan

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

    Div 2 FL
  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors