Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Late sending off proves crucial in win for under 21 footballers

A storming display in the final ten minutes, when they enjoyed the advantage of an extra man, enabled Newmarket to edge past Carrigaline in the replay of the County under 21 football championship, 0-10 to 1-6 at Donoughmore on Wednesday evening.

As in the drawn game, three weeks earlier a tight contest developed from the outset. John Lane pointed from a free in the fourth minute and T.J. Bodie increased the lead five minutes later. Carrigaline reduced the arrears in the eleventh minute but John Ryan converted a free to give Newmarket a 0-3 to 0-1 advantage at the end of the opening quarter. Carrigaline gained momentum and two unanswered points had the sides level for the first time after twenty three minutes. John Ryan edged Newmarket in front from a placed ball as the sides exchanged points within one minute of each other. The half came to a conclusion when Bart Daly converted a fine long distance free and Newmarket enjoyed a slender advantage at the interval, 0-5 to 0-4.

Carrigaline imposed themselves upon the restart and two points in ten minutes edged them ahead for the first time on the night. They struck for the solitary goal over the two games, eleven minutes into the half and enjoyed a substantial four point lead at this stage, given the nature of the two games. Amazingly this proved to be Carrigaline’s final score of the contest. Newmarket upped their performance but were guilty of squandering a number of chances as they kicked nine second half wides. Ian Flanagan eventually found the target when he finished off some fine approach play, sixteen minutes into the half.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Carrigaline were reduced to ten men and Newmarket began to make their numerical superiority pay. John Lane converted a free but Newmarket still trailed by two points with three minutes normal time remaining. The impressive Brian O’Riordan swept forward to kick a superb point from distance to inspire his side. The equally impressive and hard working full forward John Scanlon, was rewarded for his endeavour as he kicked an equalizing point for a now rampant Newmarket side. As the game entered the dying moments, Ian Flanagan was upended close to goal and John Lane duly converted the resultant free for what proved to be the winning point as just a solitary point separated the sides after two hours of football.

Newmarket now advance to play Fermoy in the semi final in what is a repeat of the minor championship semi final of 2005 in which Newmarket emerged victorious. On the night defences were prominent again with Brian O’Riordan, Robert and Brendan Stack to the fore. Kevin O’Sullivan was excellent at midfield while John Scanlon was the fulcrum of a hard working forward unit.

The Newmarket team was…

Niall O’Connor
Paul Cashman Brian O’Riordan (0-1) Brendan Stack
Conor Cronin Bart Daly (0-1) Robert Stack
Kevin O’Sullivan Timothy Murphy
Ian Flanagan (0-1) T.J. Bodie (0-1) John Ryan (0-2)
Nicky Flanagan John Scanlon (0-1) John Lane (0-3)
SUB: Anthony Lynch.

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors