Newmarket GAA
Football & Hurling Club

For any queries/comments on the website simply e-mail

All Content Copyright ©2002 - 2019 Newmarket GAA | Football & Hurling Club

Newmarket GAA

Examiner cup semi final report of 1990

Original Report: The Corkman, Friday, June 8th, 1990.

Newmarket Day

LAST season’s defeated finalists, Newmarket, have again reached the Duhallow Examiner Cup football final.

They did so at Kanturk on Sunday evening, scoring a five-point win over Dromtariffe in a semi-final that provided a high standard of football with plenty of excitement for a relatively small attendance.

The game was played at a terrific pace throughout with little or no stoppages.

Mark O’Sullivan had Newmarket on the scoresheet with a point after only 13 seconds, and John Hartnett added another two minutes later to further strengthen their position.

Slowly, Dromtariffe began to get to grips with the situation and three points in a two-minute spell via Michael O’Connell, Niall and Donagh Buckley saw them take the lead after seven minutes. Almost immediately, a Sean Culloty point had the sides back on level terms, and Newmarket again took the lead one minute later with a John Sheehan point from a free.

This advantage was shortlived as seconds later Jimmy Murphy levelled matters with a similar score.

At this stage, play was flowing smoothly with very little between the sides. In the 12th and 13th minutes the rangy Newmarket midfielder, Neily McCarthy, registered the best scores of the game with two quick points, both from around the 45 metre line. At the other end, Donagh Buckley, who was playing exceptionally well in attack from Dromtariffe, again reduced the margin before they struck with a great goal from Niall Buckley to put them two points clear on the quarter-hour mark.

Amazingly this was to be their final score of the half, with Newmarket coming right back into the game. Vincent Twomey got a very important point for them and a well taken Paudie Burke goal in the 24th minute put them two points clear. They held the lead from this point until the final whistle.

Three further points before the interval left the halftime score at 1-10 to 1-5 in their favour with Dromtariffe having it all to do in the second period. Here again it was Mark O’Sullivan who was first to score with a point after 28 seconds. Donie Healy, who had a tremendous midfield duel right throughout the hour with Cork senior Danny Culloty, got one back for Dromtariffe in the fourth minute, but they should have been much closer at this stage with the amount of possession they received.

Billy Noonan was performing well in defence and Seamus Hickey constantly set up attacks. Many of these failed as they approached the goal where the Newmarket defence and John Scanlon in particular was in fine form. The half back line combined well with their midfield and half-forwards, but were on occasions guilty of allowing Dromtariffe too much freedom. The winning margin does not do justice to a splendid performance from a young Dromtariffe fifteen.

Both teams deserve to be complimented on an excellent game of football, the only disappointing feature for the spectators being the fact that the second half never reached the same high standard of the first, with both teams failing to raise a flag for the final thirteen minutes.

Newmarket now face Kanturk in the final at Rockchapel New Grounds on Sunday, June 17 at 8 p.m.

The match was played on 3rd of June in Kanturk, Final score was Newmarket 1-13 to Dromtarriffe 1-08. The team on the day was as follows:

Bernard Dugdale
Danny O’Flynn John Scanlon John Kenneally
John Dugdale Micheal Cottrell Tommy Browne
Neily McCarthy (0-2) Danny Culloty
Mark O’Sullivan (0-2) John Sheehan (0-6) John Hartnett (0-1)
Vincent Twomey (0-1) Sean Culloty (0-1) Paudie Burke (1-0)

Referee: John Joe Lane, Lyre.

Play Lotto

  • Latest Result

    Div 2 FL
  • Next Fixture

  • Newmarket Motors